WHY SHOULD I HIRE YOU
I am a trained and experienced arbitrator and mediator. I understand the process from a legal perspective, but I can also bring the innovation based solutions of an engineer to the resolution mechanism. With my background in construction, engineering degree and experience in construction law, I can immediately comprehend the technical problems, navigate the legal issues and help you craft an innovative, practical, construction based solution.
WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE
1. I am an attorney and licensed professional engineer (civil/structural) with extensive construction law, project management and contingency construction experience.
2. I have experience with the legal and technical aspects of design, scheduling, permitting, soils, sitework, foundation, concrete, framing, sheathing, brick, stone, mold, water damage, roofing, finish, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, building code, compliance, contract issues, change orders, delay and mechanics' liens.
3. Since 1991, I have been employed primarily as an attorney focusing on the legal aspects of construction, engineering, and architecture. My construction practice involves mediation, arbitration and litigation related to public and private commercial, residential, heavy/highway, industrial, and institutional projects ranging in value from $20,000 to $400 million. My project experience ranges from houses to hospitals, aviaries to airports and steel mills to stadiums.
4. I have been appointed to the roster of neutrals for both the American Arbitration Association and the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
5. Prior to law school, I was employed as a project engineer for two ENR top 100 contractors. As project manager, I supervised the construction and/or renovation of high- and low-rise motels and hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, light industrial, office buildings, schools, restaurants, retail centers and single-family residential dwellings.
6. I continued to use my construction skills as a civil engineer in the Naval Reserve.
WHAT CASES DO YOU HANDLE
Primarily, I prepare, defend and resolve claims for construction defects and delays. A large portion of my practice involves sitting as a neutral on all manner of construction related disputes. But I also draft, negotiate and review construction agreements and can assist you with mechanics' liens, insurance claims and other legal issues that impact the construction process.
HOW MUCH DO YOU COST
I charge less than many lawyers with less experience, much less than most lawyers with similar experience at "downtown" firms, an a reasonable rate for an attorney with my construction experience and educational background. I can keep my rates reasonable because I keep my overhead low.
ARE CONSULTATIONS FREE
Sure. Call me at 412.341.7820 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will charge you nothing until I understand your problem and we agree to work together to get it solved.
ARE YOU AN EXPERT IN CONSTRUCTION LAW
No. Although I have experience in the field and the relevant educational background, Pennsylvania does not certify experts or specialists in construction law and I do not claim to be one.
Drawings courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS