WHY SHOULD I HIRE YOU
Homeowners often tell me that they know their house is defective and they think they have some legal remedy, but they don't understand either issue well enough to convince their contractor to address the defects. My background in construction, engineering degree and experience in construction law allows me to communicate the technical aspects of the construction defects and the legal ramifications of the failure to address them in a manner that the contractor can understand and respect.
WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE
1. I am an attorney and licensed professional engineer (civil/structural) with extensive construction law, project management and contingency construction experience.
2. I have experience with the legal and technical aspects of design, scheduling, permitting, soils, sitework, foundation, concrete, framing, sheathing, brick, stone, mold, water damage, roofing, finish, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, building code, compliance, contract issues, change orders, delay and mechanics' liens.
3. Since 1991, I have been employed primarily as an attorney focusing on the legal aspects of construction, engineering, and architecture. My construction practice involves mediation, arbitration and litigation related to public and private commercial, residential, heavy/highway, industrial, and institutional projects ranging in value from $20,000 to $400 million. My project experience ranges from houses to hospitals, aviaries to airports and steel mills to stadiums.
4. I have been appointed to the roster of neutrals for both the American Arbitration Association and the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
5. Prior to law school, I was employed as a project engineer for two ENR top 100 contractors. As project manager, I supervised the construction and/or renovation of high- and low-rise motels and hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, light industrial, office buildings, schools, restaurants, retail centers and single-family residential dwellings.
6. I continued to use my construction skills as a civil engineer in the Naval Reserve.
WHAT CASES DO YOU HANDLE
Primarily, I prepare, defend and resolve claims for construction defects and delays. But I also draft, negotiate and review construction agreements and can assist you with mechanics' liens, insurance claims and other legal issues that impact the construction process.
HOW MUCH DO YOU COST
I charge less than many lawyers with less experience, much less than most lawyers with similar experience at
downtown firms, an a reasonable rate for an attorney with my construction experience and educational background.
I can keep my rates reasonable because I keep my overhead low. In most cases, I can come to your home or business
to examine your particular problem. Also, some cases can be handled on a contingent fee basis. This means I am
only paid a percentage of what you recover.
ARE CONSULTATIONS FREE
Sure. Call me at 412.341.7820 or email me at email@example.com. I will charge you nothing until I understand your problem and we agree to work together to get it solved.
ARE YOU AN EXPERT IN CONSTRUCTION LAW
No. Although I have experience in the field and the relevant educational background, Pennsylvania does not certify experts or specialists in construction law and I do not claim to be one.
Drawings courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS